Assistant Finance Manager Plc and Travel
** Remote/home working allowed **
At Saga we believe in exceptional experiences everyday whilst being a driver for positive change in our markets and communities. Our values are precision pace, empathy, curiosity, collaboration. If this resonates with you then it’s time to do the best work of your life!
And right now, we are looking for an Assistant Finance Manager to join us. In this role, you will be responsible for the production and delivery of all internal and external financial reporting requirements of Saga’s Travel businesses, including but not limited to, preparation of the travel statutory financial statements, the travel regulatory returns and oversight and management of the balance sheets for these entities. You will also be a lead point of contact with the external auditors throughout the year, playing a pivotal role in facilitating satisfactory completion of audit requirements.
As this role sits within the Plc and Travel team, you will get substantial direct exposure to the Saga Plc Group’s financial reporting, whilst also regularly getting involved in various ad-hoc finance projects as they arise and providing ongoing support to senior stakeholders across the Finance Department.
This is a fantastic opportunity to take ownership in a hands-on role, with the freedom to work autonomously and independently, whilst gaining oversight across multiple industries (travel and insurance).
You will be ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified and have an accountancy practice or financial reporting background. You will have operated under IFRS and have experience of internal controls. Lastly, you will bring strong Excel skills with a curious mindset, always looking to find out what, how or why.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package.
- Support the production of the consolidated financial statements for the Saga plc Group’s Annual Report and Accounts and Interim Statement
- Act as one of the lead points of contact with external & internal auditors for the Saga plc Group and subsidiary audit cycles, including half year review, interim and year end audit
- Proactively manage the financial control framework for the Group, ensuring adoption and adherence to Group policies, procedures, and best practice
- The delivery of any changes resulting from new IFRS accounting standards or changes to Group accounting policies, including input into any necessary accounting papers for internal and external use
- Oversee and review the month-end travel reporting submissions, including performance of detailed travel balance sheet reviews, to find and facilitate the investigation and resolution of errors, as well as leading the monthly debriefs with the Travel Finance Director (and half-yearly Saga plc CFO reviews)
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong accounting skills with an excellent understanding of IFRS and UK GAAP
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ideally have experience working in a mid-large accountancy or industry firm
- High proficiency in Excel and general ledger accounting systems
- Experience in managing / developing / auditing internal controls and related processes
- Possess an inquisitive mind, and be able to find anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Must be a fully qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA accountant, with demonstrable post qualified experience
- Lives by the Saga values – Precision Pace, Empathy, Curiosity and Collaboration
- High integrity and objectivity capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think creatively
Our values are:
- Precision Pace - Always owning and making things happen
- Empathy – Always aware of others
- Curiosity – Always asking why
- Collaboration – Always one team, the Saga team!
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
Remote working available where possible
The choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
Free private medical insurance after 1 years' service
Generous Workplace Pension
AXA Be Supported
A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
About the Company
Having spent our first 30 years focused on travel, Saga launched Saga Magazine and developed home and motor insurance and financial services in the 1980s. Private medical and pet insurance followed in the 1990s, along with the launch of our own cruise ship operation. The strength of the Saga brand provides the Group with the ability to develop in-house or partner with suppliers to offer our customers and members highly differentiated, competitively priced products which meet their evolving needs.
Saga exists to help our customers and members lead the life they want to lead. To succeed in this, we know that the most important thing to do is to listen to our customers and members. At the heart of our business model is our drive to know more about our customers’ wants and needs so we are best placed to serve them.
Applying this approach over the past 70 years has enabled us to become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic and is recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and the Saga Magazine.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50 as we are champions of age inclusivity..
We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required.
We are a member of the 30% Club and partner with Women Ahead which offers us a fantastic opportunity to take part in a leading, global, cross-company, leadership mentoring scheme to champion female talent.
We are a signatory of the Armed Services Covenant and have received a Silver Award from the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.