Assistant Finance Manager
Saga is a trusted brand which achieves over 87% recognition from the UK’s over 50s. With our differentiated products and a unique route to market we are able to offer outstanding service and we mirror this with outstanding career possibilities.
With a brand new, purpose-built cruise ship launched in July 2019 and another due for delivery in August 2020, and market leading, innovative insurance and financial products the transformation of our business makes the Saga Group a very exciting place to be as we move toward the Saga 70th anniversary in 2021.
…And right now, we are looking for an Assistant Finance Manager to join our Financial Reporting & Control function. Within this function, we've recently created a new Record to Report (R2R) team who are responsible for all the general ledger postings and regulatory returns for the Group. This team looks after all our different business units including Insurance, Holidays, Cruise, Personal Finance, Publishing so this is a great opportunity to gain experience across multiple industries.
You will be a fully qualified accountant in ACA, ACCA or CIMA and either have a detailed knowledge of international accounting standards or be recently qualified. You will bring a keen interest of working on new systems and looking at process improvement, finding better ways of working. You'll also bring some leadership experience, as you'll manage a small team.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package. You'll also be able to get exposure to various industries, in a newly created team, in a diverse role and be able to influence the team's ways of working.
If you are a fully qualified accountant with a knowledge of IFRS and enjoys process improvement, then we want to hear from you!
Assist the Finance Manager with the management/preparation of:
- Month end close including all aspects of GL accounting and reporting
- Monthly account reconciliation process and coordinate with other teams for completion
- Relationships with internal business groups
- External regulatory returns
- Development of the month end close process, driving efficiencies
- Responsibility for the maintenance of accounting systems and records associated with the production of the various accounts listed above
- Development of systems to improve the production efficiency of those accounts
- Process improvement
- Liaison with external and internal auditors
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience
- Up to date technical knowledge of IFRS or be recently qualified
- Keen interest in accountancy systems
- Can implement process improvement to find better ways of working
- Previous management experience
- An ability to communicate across Finance at all levels
- Be able to clearly explain accounting concepts and calculations to the external auditors
Education and Qualifications
- Fully qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA accountant
- A proactive mindset with an inquisitive nature
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a range of colleagues at varying levels of seniority
- Able to quickly establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think outside the box
- Possess an inquisitive mind, and be able to identify anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Relish the challenge of working to tight deadlines and during periods of pressure
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc 2019 AGM film below:
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.