Assistant Finance Manager
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Group function of the business.
The Assistant Finance Manager will be responsible for Financial Reporting and Control aspects of the business. In this role, you will ensure that the finance function supports, measures, reviews and appropriately challenges on financial aspects of the business.
You will provide leadership and motivation to the team and will work to ensure that sufficiently robust structures, systems and processes are in place to manage and deliver against tasks and business objectives, identifying and managing risks and opportunities, and supporting business growth. As an Assistant Finance Manager you will take responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timeliness of the work produced by their team – ensuring that the team remains effective. Guidance and support should be provided to the team to enable them to fulfil their roles and encourage their development.
The Financial Reporting & Control team will provide timely reporting and management of the balance sheet for the business, ensuring quality and accuracy in-line with accounting policies. The team will support implementation of changes to IFRS, and accounting policy where required. The team will ensure timely completion of regulatory returns. The team will also manage financial controls, ensuring that they are operating effectively and adequately mitigating financial control risks.
The role is suited to a qualified, or nearly qualified finance professional with some previous managerial experience, who is likely to have a background in financial accounting, control and/or audit.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
- Responsibility for running the team and managing the staff within that team, which includes (but not limited to) ensuring quality, accuracy and timeliness of all outputs; ensuring adherence to all relevant deadlines by all members of the team
- Financial accounting for the business, to include preparation/review of financial statements
- Responsibility for communicating and ensuring compliance with the Group corporate governance policies and procedures
- Responsibility for compliance with all accounting standards and the accounting policies of the business. Implementation of any changes to accounting standards, controls or policies within their area of responsibility
- Responsibility for the implementation of systems and processes to support business needs
- Responsibility for ensuring regulatory returns are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Delivery of financial support to key projects
- Financial analysis of potential partners and suppliers and performance of all due diligence processes as required
- Support in the management of, and liaison with external and internal auditors
- Support to the Head of Finance/Finance Manager on all financial matters as required
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong accounting skills with a good understanding of control processes
- Line management experience with a strong belief in developing people
- Would ideally have experience in a sizeable organisation
- Able to demonstrate competence in Financial reporting and control, and delivery of tangible outputs
- Good operational understanding of the business
- A professional approach and a high regard for confidentiality and professional integrity
Education and Qualifications:
- Graduate level or equivalent
- Likely to be fully qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant or a finalist
- Up to date technical knowledge of relevant accounting and taxation issues
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues, including Department Heads and Directors
- High integrity and objectivity capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think outside the box
- High proficiency in Excel, databases and general ledger systems
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- 28 days holiday
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.