Assistant Finance Manager
A leader in Motor, Home, Travel and Health Insurance; Saga offers an environment where we will do the best thing for you to develop your skills and develop your career.
This role is an important part of the Services Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Insurance function of the business.
In this role, you will ensure systems and processes relevant to the team are continually improved and optimised to render finance processes reliable and efficient.
You will provide strong leadership and motivation to the team, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timeliness of the work produced by each of the team members. This role will also be responsible for the day-to-day running of the team to ensure that it remains effective.
The role requires significant liaison with senior business colleagues within the Saga Services business and may include liaison with other Finance departments within the Saga Group.
This role is suited to qualified finance professionals that have some previous managerial experience.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
- Ensuring quality, accuracy and timeliness of all outputs; ensuring adherence to all relevant deadlines
- Ensuring finance processes adopted are robust, reliable and efficient
- Ensuring that the demands of the team’s customers and effectively managed, prioritised, tracked and delivered to specification, with the aim of exceeding expectations whilst not wasting resource unnecessarily
- Communicating and ensuring compliance with the Group corporate governance policies and procedures where relevant
- Compliance with all accounting standards, accounting policies and accounting principles appropriate to the Saga Group, and where relevant to the role
- Liaison with external and internal auditors, as required by the role
- Taking responsibility for key work tasks, with the expectation from management that questions and analysis requested will be delivered in a professional and summarised manner for presentation to senior management. Expectation that answers and solutions will be delivered without significant involvement (but with reasonable support) from the appropriate manager
- Work output expected to be of a high standard, rigorously checked, evidenced and reconciled appropriately
- Delivery of ad hoc projects will likely be a key component of the role, with expectation that the role holder can deliver significant EBITDA / policy value with appropriate support from management
- Support for departments and add commercial insight into the teams and drive significant profit benefit to Saga Services. This will be covered in the specifics of each individual AFM role, but could span Marketing, Operations, Product, Pricing, Management Accounts, Financial Accounts, specific Saga companies or Reporting key support
- Assist the Head of Finance and support the Directors in delivering of budget & long-term plans, you will develop an understanding of the key dynamics that drive the performance of the business and support in enabling Saga Services to move towards its goals
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrable competence of working at an Assistance Finance Manager level, particularly in a business partnering capacity
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Would ideally have experience in a sizeable (1000+ employees) organisation, ideally a Plc
- Able to demonstrate significant competence in the use of financial systems packages and Excel
- Excellent personal effectiveness and time management skills, such as task and diary management, work and project planning, file and record keeping (physical and electronic)
- Able to work as a team and capable of delivering objectives under pressure
- A professional approach and a high regard for confidentiality
Education and Qualifications:
- Graduate level or equivalent desirable
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication with a range of colleagues at varying levels of seniority
- Able to quickly establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues at all levels
- High integrity and objectivity capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think outside the box
- Possess an inquisitive mind, and be able to identify anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Able to work independently without constant oversight
- Relish the challenge of working to tight deadlines and during periods of pressure
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- 28 days holiday
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.