Assistant Finance Manager
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Group function of the business.
Reporting to the Finance Manager for the Saga plc Group, the Assistant Finance Manager will be responsible for compiling and producing the consolidated statutory and management accounts for the Saga plc Group. Statutory accounts are required to be produced at the half-year and year-end. Management accounts are produced monthly, in addition to the annual consolidated strategic plan and detailed budget.
Due to the diversity of businesses in the Saga Group and the need to report under IFRS at a Group level, you will possess comprehensive and detailed knowledge of international accounting standards.
You will work across the finance department to request and compile information. You will therefore bring excellent communication skills and be able to influence and negotiate with other Finance personnel at varying degrees of seniority, such as Finance Directors, Finance Managers, Accountants and Assistant Accountants. You will play a pivotal role in year-end and interim audits, so must be able to clearly explain accounting concepts and calculations to the external auditors.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
Assist the Finance Manager with the production of:
- The consolidated statutory and management accounts for the Saga plc Group, including all associated board papers and commentaries
- The consolidated annual strategic plan and detailed budget for the Saga plc Group
- The year-end statutory accounts for various individual parent entities and dormant entities
- Compliance with all accounting standards and policies of the companies and the Saga Group
- Maintenance of the Saga plc manual of accounting
- Act as a liaison with Finance personnel across the Saga Group in an advisory and technical support capacity on all financial accounting matters
- Responsibility for the maintenance of accounting systems and records associated with the production of the various accounts listed above
- Development of systems to improve the production efficiency of those accounts
- Liaison with external and internal auditors
- Provide support to the other areas of Group Finance as required, but particularly during busy times
- Provide support to the Finance Manager, Head of Finance and Group Financial Controller on all financial matters as required
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrable competence of working at an Assistant Finance Manager level within a Finance environment
- Would ideally have experience in a sizeable (1000+ employees) organisation
- Able to demonstrate significant competence in the production of statutory accounts under IFRS
- Experience of producing consolidated group accounts in a relevant industry, such as financial services or travel
- Strong technical accounting skills under IFRS and FRS 101 essential
- Strong Excel and ledger accounting skills are essential
- Excellent personal effectiveness and time management skills, such as task management, work and project planning, file and record keeping (physical and electronic)
- A professional approach and a high regard for confidentiality
Education and Qualifications:
- Fully qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant with demonstrable post qualified experience
- Up to date technical knowledge of IFRS is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a range of colleagues at varying levels of seniority
- Able to quickly establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues at all levels, including Finance Directors and senior Finance personnel
- High integrity and objectivity capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think outside the box
- Possess an inquisitive mind, and be able to identify anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Able to work independently without constant oversight
- Relish the challenge of working to tight deadlines and during periods of pressure
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.