Chief Sub Editor
Here at Saga Magazine we're proud to say that we're Britain's bestselling monthly subscription magazine with over 227,000 subscribers. The team are committed to creating fantastic content for our readers that's entertaining, informative, inspiring and fun. Working alongside editorial professionals you'll be responsible in implementing the overall strategy of the magazine by commissioning and developing articles to delight and inspire our readers.
You will be responsible for maintaining high production values and ensuring a timely delivery of the magazine to the printer. You'll be running the subs' desk, managing both staff and freelance subs, to produce a polished product on time and in budget.
Please note this role can be performed remotely, so we are happy to receive applications regardless of location.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Oversee the work of sub editors, and setting the highest of editorial standards for them to follow
- Ensure all facts are checked and that all grammar, punctuation, spelling etc are correct
- Be the curator of the house style guide and making sure it is adhered to
- Write sparkling heads and sells, clever captions and picking the most engaging pull quotes
- Create a production schedule to ensure smooth production of the magazine
- Chase commissioning editors and art dept when necessary to ensure the production schedule is adhered to
- Liaise with the art department on a day-to-day basis to ensure timely delivery of product
- Ensure the layout works for the copy in hand and liaising with art if it’s not quite right
- Book freelance subs as necessary, while staying within budget.
- Work on layouts in InDesign, cutting copy to fit, making sure there are running turns, no widows etc
- Send pdfs to regular contributors and liaising with them about any changes to copy
- Check cromalins and liaise with the repro house to ensure the magazine goes to the printers on time
- Lead the writing and editing of advertorials as required
- Liaise with the advertising dept as and when necessary
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant demonstrable sub editor experience of a national magazine
- Experience of digital publishing/editorial is also highly desirable
- Demonstrable competence in independent writing and editing
- Strong people and performance management skills with a proven track record
- Demonstrate complete understanding of business plans and goals and proven ability to make a serious contribution to the business future
- Excellent understanding of the over-50s market
- Competent in playing a leading role within the company
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent design, typography and layout skills. Proven journalistic skills in spotting and developing stories/themes
Education and Qualifications:
- Excellent standard of secondary education
- Degree calibre
- Strong team-builder and team-leader, with proven management skills and ability to lead from the front
- The ability to interact with internal and external peers at all levels
- The ability to manage budgets, control costs and deliver strong ROI
- Maintains strong contacts in media & journalism
- Dedicated to delivering the Saga vision & a believer in the Saga Way
- A change agent who will challenge the existing team to enable and support a new publishing proposition
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc 2019 AGM film below:
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.