** Remote/home working allowed **
Our people are everything to us. The way they deliver exceptional experiences every day for our customers, for their colleagues. The way they own what they do. Their 'Why's it like that?' curiosity. How they always think of others and work together to get things done. For us, for you, make do will never do. Good enough? Not even close. Come and do the best work of your life alongside lovely colleagues. Come to Saga.
And right now, we are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Insurance Analytics team. As a Data Scientist, you will build and manage advanced analytics solutions which typically require the use of Machine Learning (ML), partnering with our operation.
You should be curious in nature, enabling you to create solutions to solve some of the organisation’s toughest problems. You will bring with you a blend of technical and non-technical skills, including finely honed communication skills with the ability to articulate principles and benefits with confidence and clarity, to stakeholders of all levels.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package.
So, if this is of interest to you then we would be keen to hear from you!
- Identify data science opportunities through partnering with stakeholders, understand business problems, develop solutions and deliver at #PrecisionPace
- Implement the ML lifecycle (concept creation, business case estimation, model development, experiment tracking, implementation/industrialisation, pilot, performance tracking and model drift monitoring)
- Assist with creation of “use case” solution diagrams to evidence information flows for ML model training and live solutions, documenting these on Confluence
- Working with management teams to ensure data science approaches are fit for purpose and yield significant or useful results when in production, having confidence and #Curiosity to escalate issues or blockers (data availability/feasibility).
- Enabling use case development across the Insurance function
- Driving innovation and data-led decision making through development of ML applications
- Being a technical champion, enabling functional and reusable programming, to speed up and automate data science tasks
- Adhere to governance processes for delivery of modelling solutions including a “use case risk review process” defining ML lifecycle governance
- Implement the analytics methodology for each ML use case and all stage gates recorded on Confluence (from identification, foundations, model development, pilot, and testing) and work with senior stakeholders to escalate significant risks, issues, or blockers
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly analytical with experience of problem-solving analytics, preferably utilising advanced methods (ML, AI)
- Knowledge of ML, statistics, optimisation or similar
- Industrialisation of ensemble ML solutions
- Expertise with Python required (and distributed compute (e.g. Pyspark) is a positive)
- Experience with data lakes, large and complex datasets, data pipelines, fully automated processes and troubleshooting across the ML lifecycle
- Ideally UK Insurance experience
- Experienced communicator of technical content
- Successfully contributes to a fun, fast-paced, “fail fast”/agile environment.
- Proficient with Systems and Data (storage, pipelines, manipulation)
- Knowledge of Insurance Claims, Pricing and financial management experience
Our values are:
- Precision Pace - Always owning and making things happen.
- Empathy – Always aware of others.
- Curiosity – Always asking why.
- Collaboration – Always one team, the Saga team!
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
Remote working available where possible
25 days annual leave plus bank holidays with the choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
Free private medical insurance after 1 years' service
AXA Be Supported
A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
About the Company
Having spent our first 30 years focused on travel, Saga launched Saga Magazine and developed home and motor insurance and financial services in the 1980s. Private medical and pet insurance followed in the 1990s, along with the launch of our own cruise ship operation. The strength of the Saga brand provides the Group with the ability to develop in-house or partner with suppliers to offer our customers and members highly differentiated, competitively priced products which meet their evolving needs.
Saga exists to help our customers and members lead the life they want to lead. To succeed in this, we know that the most important thing to do is to listen to our customers and members. At the heart of our business model is our drive to know more about our customers’ wants and needs so we are best placed to serve them.
Applying this approach over the past 70 years has enabled us to become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic and is recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and the Saga Magazine.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50 as we are champions of age inclusivity.
We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required.
We are a member of the 30% Club and partner with Women Ahead which offers us a fantastic opportunity to take part in a leading, global, cross-company, leadership mentoring scheme to champion female talent.
We are a signatory of the Armed Services Covenant and have received a Silver Award from the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.