** Remote/home working allowed **
Our people are everything to us. The way they deliver exceptional experiences every day for our customers, for their colleagues. The way they own what they do. Their 'Why's it like that?' curiosity. How they always think of others and work together to get things done. For us, for you, make do will never do. Good enough? Not even close. Come and do the best work of your life alongside lovely colleagues. Come to Saga.
And right now, we are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data Science and Advanced Analytics team. You will use your research skills and experience to identify novel approaches to gaining insight into data available inside and outside of our systems with machine learning. In turn you will be able to develop those approaches using appropriate code libraries and design patterns with disciplined git commit behaviour and share both emerging and developed insights with colleagues.
You will have knowledge of a variety of Machine Learning (ML) techniques, including their pros/cons with each. You will enjoy digging into the detail in an agile and iterative way enabling you to build advanced, exotic models. You will prioritise competing requirements and manage stakeholders to deliver a balanced set of results and services. And all this whilst ensuring everything is done in a safe, transparent, and compliant way.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package.
So, if this is of interest to you then we would be keen to hear from you!
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across the business to make sure my team and I support SAGA’s strategic initiatives.
- Refining models and assessing their performance accurately
- Consult w/Business to identify data sources and opportunities for data science to unlock value
- Participate in light weight agile ceremonies to identify problems, prioritise work and improve team practice
- Producing & committing clean code as well as saving and sharing unpolished notebooks
- Defining and archiving environments for reproducibility
- Staying up to date technically with academic literature and new commercial/open-source tools
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of complex machine learning modelling projects within a python environment.
- Data visualisation tools e.g., Tableau.
- Educated in a quantitative scientific discipline.
- Research experience in academia or industry.
- Experience presenting visualisations to stakeholders.
- Good communication and technical presentation skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on data.
- Knowledge of a variety of ML techniques, their pros/cons.
- SQL, Python (pandas, sklearn, etc), Linux CLI.
- Knowledge of a wide range of statistical techniques.
- A curious nature, with the drive to learn and master new tech and methods.
Our values are:
- Precision Pace - Always owning and making things happen.
- Empathy – Always aware of others.
- Curiosity – Always asking why.
- Collaboration – Always one team, the Saga team!
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
Remote working available where possible
25 days annual leave plus bank holidays from Jan 2022 with the choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
Free private medical insurance after 1 years' service
AXA Be Supported
A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
About the Company
Having spent our first 30 years focused on travel, Saga launched Saga Magazine and developed home and motor insurance and financial services in the 1980s. Private medical and pet insurance followed in the 1990s, along with the launch of our own cruise ship operation. The strength of the Saga brand provides the Group with the ability to develop in-house or partner with suppliers to offer our customers and members highly differentiated, competitively priced products which meet their evolving needs.
Saga exists to help our customers and members lead the life they want to lead. To succeed in this, we know that the most important thing to do is to listen to our customers and members. At the heart of our business model is our drive to know more about our customers’ wants and needs so we are best placed to serve them.
Applying this approach over the past 70 years has enabled us to become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic and is recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and the Saga Magazine.
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50 as we are champions of age inclusivity.
We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required.
We are a member of the 30% Club and partner with Women Ahead which offers us a fantastic opportunity to take part in a leading, global, cross-company, leadership mentoring scheme to champion female talent.
We are a signatory of the Armed Services Covenant and have received a Silver Award from the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.