Deputy Editor - Digital
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Marketing team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Membership function of the business.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial, the Deputy Editor (Digital) will be responsible for all aspects of the digital edition of the Saga Magazine, including the overall strategy and the development of the channel; covering positioning, content strategy, the usage of app-based capabilities and the application of such capabilities to the content strategy.
The Deputy Editor (Digital) is also responsible for the development and delivery of the P&L for the digital magazine, including the setting of commercial targets and the delivery of revenue streams to meet such targets.
Fundamental to the role is a results driven mindset, with a focus on channel adoption and engagement , as well as the P&L.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Strategy development, articulation and delivery
- Identification and delivery of revenue development opportunities
- Content planning in collaboration with the print magazine plan
- Production and pitching of content for an app-based magazine
- First-class writing and editorial skills and ability to write engaging digital content whilst maintaining house-style
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with subject experts
- Effective stakeholder management between teams and individuals of all levels to ensure the cohesive delivery of the digital proposition
- Copy editing to a high standard
- To deliver the overall strategic model and support the Head of Editorial in delivering this to time and cost
- Assuming responsibility for the digital magazine in the absence of the Head of Editorial and representing the digital magazine in their absence
- Development, documentation and orchestration of workflows to effectively deliver the magazine
- Creation and publication of reports to highlight the performance of the digital magazine. Highlighting and driving initiatives to improve the key metrics
- To ensure content meets all legal, reputational and media regulations and requirements, identifying and acting on risk KPIs and ensuring content is not libellous or factually incorrect
- To ensure content meets reader needs and supports the commercial strategy for the business, and ensure magazine content across owned topics and sections meets the demanding standards required to maintain its position as the UK’s biggest selling subscription magazine
- To be responsible for meeting press deadlines and KPIs ensuring the digital magazine is delivered on time and on budget
- To uphold the company’s brand values and standards, both internally and externally
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A self-starter, with a proven strategic mindset and demonstrable experience within the digital publishing arena
- Proven commercial acumen
- Proven budget management
- Solid experience creating, editing and producing online content for a consumer digital magazine
- Polished editorial skills, including scheduling, planning, subbing, checking and proofing
- First-class writing and editorial skills and ability to write engaging online content whilst maintaining house-style
- Strong teamwork and influencing skills operating within a multi-channel content team
- Expert InDesign and Adobe Creative Cloud skills, and experience working within a major CMS
- Experience of working with analytics tools and the creation of performance reports
- Proven experience in digital content delivery within a mainstream consumer publishing environment
- Proven experience in repurposing print content into accessible digital articles
- Deep knowledge of consumer digital production environments, including the full production process and the inherent capabilities of app-based magazines
- A strong communicator and collaborator, able to communicate ideas and concepts, at varying levels of seniority
Education and qualifications:
- Degree standard education
- Results orientated
- Commercially minded
- Ability to deal with a multifaceted role
- Ability to stay up to speed with daily general news events: especially those relating to the world of people over 50
- Ability to stay up to speed with libel laws and other legal requirements of a publishing house
- Demonstrable practical knowledge of digital content production.
- Excellent literary skills
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.