Here at Saga Magazine we're proud to say that we're Britain's bestselling monthly subscription magazine with over 227,000 subscribers. The team are committed to creating fantastic content for our readers that's entertaining, informative, inspiring and fun.
Working alongside the Editor and editorial team you'll play a part in implementing the overall strategy of the magazine by commissioning and developing articles to delight and inspire our readers.
Please note this role can be performed remotely, so we are happy to receive applications regardless of location.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Deputising for the editor in her absence, making decisions, attending meetings etc as necessary.
- Contribute ideas for general features, which entails reading widely, staying up to date with current affairs and rivals.
- Commission and brief writers, negotiating fees, chasing copy and ensuring articles are delivered on time.
- Editing features, often liaising with the writers, to ensure that articles are always of the highest standard.
- All the editorial content of the gardening pages, recipes, technology, health, problems page and dating column.
- Overseeing the overall smooth production of the magazine, ensuring production schedules are adhered to.
- Liaising with the art department with regard to word counts and pics/photo shoots that need to be set up etc.
- Ensuring the high production values of the magazine are maintained by managing the subbing team.
- Proofreading all pages of the magazine, improving heads, sells and captions etc where necessary.
- Supporting the editor in day-to-day management, delivering an engaging, polished publication on time and in budget.
- Ensuring high-quality output based on customer insight, resulting in an excellent product in line with brand guidelines.
- Identifying opportunities to improve the quality of content. Helping to improve efficiencies within the team.
- Having good contacts and being able to attract high-calibre contributors to the magazine.
- Networking to stay connected with trends and changes in the wider media world.
- Monitoring advertising content to ensure nothing that could be brand-damaging slips through the net.
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant demonstrable editorial experience of a national magazine
- Experience of digital publishing/editorial is also highly desirable
- Demonstrable competence in independent writing and editing
- Strong people and performance management skills with a proven track record
- Demonstrate complete understanding of business plans and goals and proven ability to make a serious contribution to the business future
- Excellent understanding of the over-50s market
- Competent in playing a leading role within the company
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent design, typography and layout skills. Proven journalistic skills in spotting and developing stories/themes
Education and Qualifications:
- Excellent standard of secondary education
- Degree calibre
- Strong team-builder and team-leader, with proven management skills and ability to lead from the front
- The ability to interact with internal and external peers at all levels
- The ability to manage budgets, control costs and deliver strong ROI
- Maintains strong contacts in media & journalism
- Dedicated to delivering the Saga vision & a believer in the Saga Way
- A change agent who will challenge the existing team to enable and support a new publishing proposition
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc 2019 AGM film below:
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.