Desktop Support Engineer
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Desktop Support Engineer to join the Saga Group team based in Southampton.
You will be providing first and second line support to business users of the desktop systems, as agreed, within Saga Group, providing a first port of call for all incidents relating to business software or PC issues. This support includes assistance in the production and compilation of management information and the administration of incident recording, tracking and documentation within a continuous improvement environment.
You will bring good written and verbal skills, a proactive attitude with the ability to recognise issues and escalate quickly.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like you keep reading……
- To act as first line of IT support to the business user community. To solve problems where feasible and/or own the problem resolution (liaising with other agencies as appropriate) until solution, ensuring that the business users are regularly informed of progress.
- To act as first line of support also for all PC-related calls, handling queries, faults and incidents of all kinds and distributing these to the appropriate second-line personnel as necessary.
- To provide first line fault investigation requiring: clear statement of the issues; analysis of the issues; proposal for solution (technical design); construction of solution where appropriate.
- To work with and within project teams, as and when required.
- To be a conduit for issues arising in the business requiring resolution within IT. To recognise these issues and escalate appropriately, according to procedures, to both IT and other areas of the business.
- To liaise with internal and external bodies, including user groups, business supervisor, Technical Consultants, Strategic Planning, Unix Technical Support, Project Managers and IT consultants.
- To monitor systems and proactively recognise and raise issues to the business and to IT where required.
- To communicate IT support issues effectively to the business by translation of technical jargon into layman’s terms.
- To administer the TIA user base including maintenance of security clearances, new users, amendments and deletions.
- To monitor machine performance and to recognise and raise issues with the business, Services, Holidays and Group IT as appropriate.
- To provide a systems testing role, particularly for fault correction.
- To proactively participate in the development of the services provided and procedures adopted by the team within a continuous improvement environment in order to meet and exceed the expectations of internal and external customers.
- To administer the system maintenance procedures; raise, take ownership and update change requests / faults and communicate their progress to both internal and external customers.
- To monitor desktop system usage / performance and to recognise and raise issues with the businesses and Group IT as appropriate.
- To provide, if necessary when working on remote sites, first line support on local data network, telephony equipment and servers, patching of data and telephony networks, installation of telephones onto desks and the back-up of local servers.
- Adhere to, and promote, security policies to the businesses.
- Assist in the operation of new systems, agreeing sign off and taking on support roles as necessary, following proper training.
- To work within any SLA’s agreed with management and various areas of the business.
- To be willing to travel between various Group sites in order to carry out the day-to-day functions of Desktop Support and to be available for overtime as and when this is required. To also take part in the Team’s On Call Rota, enabling the Company to provide 24/7 support.
The Ideal Candidate
The behavioural skills required for this role are:
- Self-motivated, able to manage own workload effectively.
- Maintains a professional approach when working on day-to-day activities.
- Good written & verbal skills.
- Able to work methodically under pressure.
- Good analytical skills, able to use data to determine cause of incidents, and able to act on this data to resolve incidents.
- Good customer service skills. Able to maintain a good rapport with customers, ensuring timely updates around incident diagnosis or project activities.
- Flexible approach, able to react to changing situations. Often volunteers to take part in work out of normal office hours.
- Good understanding of the Saga business, its products and customers.
- Good time management and organisation skills. Regularly manages the completion of tasks on time with some intervention from the manager.
- Positive attitude that supports confidence, respect and support from other team members.
- Able to work with other IT teams effectively.
- Proficient use of Windows and Microsoft Office tools, systems and applications.
- Enthusiastic team worker - proven ability of working in a successful and flexible team.
- A broad knowledge of Saga products.
- A pro-active attitude, with the ability to recognise issues & escalate accordingly.
- Thrives when given challenges and consistently meets targets, maintaining a high level of accuracy.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience working in an IT related role within a corporate environment.
- Basic level of awareness of the ITIL service management processes. including incident, problem and change management.
- Awareness of emerging industry products and solutions.
Education and Qualifications: (preferable)
- Ideally educated to A-level standard or equivalent.
- Relevant MCSE/MCP or NVQ qualifications preferred. Experience may be considered as a substitute for qualification.
- Pro-active and self-motivating with strong customer focus.
- Driven and tenacious high performer.
- First-class communicator.
- Systematic and inclusive approach to fault and issue resolution.
- Good time management skills.
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.