Be part of a team that exists to inspire and enable exceptional experiences.
We are looking for an Executive Chef to join our team. You will provide an exceptional culinary experience to our Guests every day onboard our purpose-built boutique ships that carry a maximum 999 guests at any time.
You will be responsible for the entire culinary operation onboard including procurement, galley, storing and guest satisfaction. You will ensure that all culinary areas are maintained in accordance with company policy, USPH, SMS, HACCP and safety and environmental regulations.
You will also establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active culinary team that deliver the highest quality orientated service product delivering a cost-effective and ethical operation in line with the Saga Leadership Model.
And in return, you'll be part of a forward-thinking organisation with brand new, boutique luxury cruise ships.
If you are an experienced chef with experience of delivering exceptional culinary experiences to customers, we are keen to hear from you!
- Monitors quality and cost of food production ensuring set budgets are achieved and maintained
- Responsible for providing financial and auditing reports to Hotel Operations Director
- Organizes, plans, and coordinates any Guest Chef events before and throughout sailing
- Establishes and develops a highly motivated, pro-active culinary team that deliver the highest quality orientated service product delivering a cost-effective and ethical operation in line with the Saga Leadership Model
- Liaises with the Food & Beverage Storekeeper, Pastry Chef, Executive Sous Chef and Speciality Chefs regarding availability, specifications, standard item lists and delivery logistics, as well as shipboard inventory levels, stock rotation
- Complete daily walkthroughs of all culinary operations including provisions with Executive Sous Chef, Pastry Chef, and each Speciality Chef
- Assists with developing and maintaining par stocks for food product and equipment
- Monitor that the galley team are adhering to the opening and closing times of each venue
- Assist and work with the Hotel Operations Manager Menu implementation and delivery
- Monitors and ensures correct storage and cold storage of all products according to company standards
- Inform the Food & Beverage Director of all relevant issues regarding the culinary operation requesting the appropriate support
- Monitors the Crew Dining area and follows up to review overall crew food experience
- Reports to Technical department any defects or repairs that affect the daily operation in the galley and that potentially violate USPH and/or SMS (Safety Management System) requirements
- Conducts regular spot-checks and inspections of USPH and other Public Health requirements
- Frequently visits Guest tables during service to gain feedback on culinary standards and general satisfaction
- Reviews galley crew rotas ensuring that each outlet has the required workforce to deliver a high-quality service
- Checks and approves all food requisitions to avoid overstocking in the galley storage spaces and unnecessary wastage
- Monitors food wastage to ensure costs are kept to a minimum
- Ensures ILO (International Labour Organisation) Work & Rest hours are followed and entered into the time keeping system accurately
- Accountable for the general cleanliness of all galley outlets in conjunction with the Health and Hygiene Officer and Chief Kitchen Steward
- Initiate and participate in the Cooking Demonstrations as required
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous robust experience as Executive Chef onboard a Cruise ship or 4/5* hotel/resort
- Excellent organizational skills and able to juggle several operations in one go
- Demonstrated experience in motivating, leading, and engaging a diverse workforce to increase cooperation and improve productivity
- Passionate about people and able to handle guest complaints with a smile!
- All certificates as required by the STCW code for this position
- Excellent understanding of food specifications, including but not limited to USDA meat and standards and grading
- Knowledge of Vessel Sanitation Program regulations and procedures
- Experience of budgeting and cost control, including working with Inventory reports, food cost reports and monthly financial statements
- Good command of the English Language
This is a fixed term contract onboard our cruise ships and comes with an excellent benefits package.
About the Company
At Saga we see the world through our customers eyes to allow us to exceed their expectations. Over the past 18 months, we have been focused on creating a British boutique cruising experience for our guests that is not available elsewhere on the market. The arrival of Spirit of Discovery last year was the first milestone in this plan and the ship has been extremely well received by our guests. We have now taken delivery of the newest addition to our fleet, Spirit of Adventure, with her striking design, distinctive new venues, and innovative speciality restaurants, she will certainly have a unique personality. She will complement Spirit of Discovery, and fulfil our promise of boutique luxury, perfectly.
You will be welcomed into a loyal and caring group of professionals who see our passengers and other crew members as real people with feelings and needs. Guests are known by their name and are not just a number. We pride ourselves as working as one team between those working onboard and onshore to create the best possible product for our guests.
Below you will see some videos of our new ships:
Below you will also see links to our website that will allow you to virtually step onboard our ships: