Financial Accountant - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Group function of the business.
In this role, you will assist the Head of Finance and a Senior Financial Accountant in the implementation of the new IFRS 16 Leases standard for year end 31 January 2019, as well as delivering on a variety of Internal Financial Control improvements which have been identified across Finance.
Reporting into the Head of Finance within the Group team, the role will also involve assisting on improving the monthly processes within 3 subsidiaries, i.e. Saga Group Ltd (SGL), Saga Publishing and Saga Membership.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
IFRS 16 Leases:
- Assist the Head of Finance on the implementation of IFRS 16 Leases across the wider Saga group, as well as drafting the disclosures for Saga plc at year end 31 January 2019.
Internal Financial Controls:
- Actively drive forward the implementation of a list of Internal Financial Controls, which have been identified and already communicated to the Audit Committee. This will involve liaising and working with the Finance Leadership Team (FLT), finance colleagues within various subsidiaries and stakeholders outside of Finance.
Monthly process improvements:
- To work with the Financial Accountant in charge of the monthly reporting for SGL, Publishing and Membership, to identify and implement process improvements. This will require a good understanding of financial controls and accounting.
Ad hoc tasks:
- There may be times when work which is additional to that listed above is required to be completed.
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience of financial controls and processes.
- Extensive experience of accounting under/and implementing IFRS.
- Experience of accounting systems, including TM1 and Controller, would be advantageous.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and tight timelines.
- Ability to deal with several conflicting priorities and stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of working in either or both the insurance and travel industries would be advantageous.
Education and Qualifications:
- ACA/ACCA finalist or qualified.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to get on with a range of different types of people at different levels of seniority, with confidence.
- Excellent personal effectiveness skills, including time management and prioritisation.
- Able to work on own initiative with a high degree of autonomy.
- Flexibility – being able to cope with changing demands, amending priorities appropriately and having the ability to manage change.
- Self-confidence and positive approach, with a ‘get the job done’ approach.
- Team working – the ability to work constructively and effectively in a cross functional team.
- Professional / ethical / confidential.
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- 28 days holiday
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- Saga Social Club
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Childcare vouchers
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.