Front-End Web Developer
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
We are looking for a Front-End Web Developer to join our Saga Group IT business based in Folkestone.
This role will reside in the Group IT Web team and encompasses building, updating and supporting the Group IT customer facing websites in terms of how they look and behave. This team work closely with the wider IT community, Marketing and other Business teams to support the development programme.
The successful candidate will be expected to proactively implement best practice from a development, performance and security perspective; ensuring that applications are usable, consistent and accessible.
They will need to be able to support multiple work streams and have an excellent attention to detail, focussing on following a project or support task through to completion. The job will provide the scope and opportunity to work with all areas of IT and the wider business and will allow them to grow within the role.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Take creative ownership on projects and change to the Group websites (Membership, MySaga, Saga Magazine, Saga.co.uk), including supporting the definition of specifications alongside the Business Analyst and Change Owner. Provide advice where alternative solutions exist
- Detailed analysis of user requirements for new applications and functionality, translating business requirements into innovative customer journeys via wireframes and prototypes
- Application development of front-end assets including HTML, CSS and Client-side script
- A proactive approach to architectural problems, developing best practice in realms of usability, performance and accessibility, whilst engendering a culture of continuous improvement
- Understand and demonstrate the need for information security and governance controls and possess the ability to balance these needs with those of the development programme
- The role may require duties to be performed outside normal working hours
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A thorough understanding of web security, usability, accessibility and web standards to help drive best practice
- Experience of Wireframing and Prototyping web-facing applications
- Some digital creative experience in Photoshop, Illustrator and similar design software, working within the Company brand, but able to contribute to its enhancement
- A knowledge of Web technologies including .NET MVC would be advantageous, as would an understanding of client-side unit testing technologies
- Experience of working in different development methodologies including Agile
- Willingness to support and mentor junior developers using techniques such as pair programming, peer review, hosting workshops and retrospectives
- Appetite for process and system improvement and keen to experiment with technologies and processes
- Ability to help define and manage own workload
- Proven communication skills and the ability to communicate ideas and all ranges of technical aspects and complex concepts clearly and in plain English to all levels of the business
- A pro-active attitude, with the ability to recognise and deal with all manner of IT related issues, whilst communicating and escalating accordingly
- Strong prioritisation and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Understanding and efficiency in collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders with a focus on value and the wider business environment
Education and Qualifications:
- Demonstrable technical experience. This to include proven in-depth technical knowledge of designated technical platforms
- Recognised industry qualification would be advantageous
- Flexible, personable, assertive
- An advocate of continuous improvement and lifelong learning
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Thorough eye for detail, logical, creative
- Pro-active with initiative but disciplined and professional
- Team player but able to work on own
- Positive attitude to change
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.