Head of Community
** At Saga we’re radically flexible which means our colleagues have total autonomy over where they work – home, hybrid or hub. This role has a hybrid element which means our team come together when we need to collaborate.
The chosen candidate will be responsible for delivering on Saga’s Community Strategy, building communities of Saga customers, and partnering with existing communities to help connect the UK’s older adults around their shared interests. The Head of Communities will report to the Innovation Director, be responsible for growing their team, and liaise with the marketing and partnerships teams to ensure delivery on strategic aims.
The Community function is likely to expand as we ramp up our community strategy, and therefore this role has the potential to expand and shift as we grow out this discipline and team. We are aware that community management is an emerging discipline, and therefore would encourage those excited about the role and opportunity to apply, even if they do not have all of the experience detailed in the job description.
This role will play a key role in shaping and delivering Saga’s community strategy, transforming the way that Saga engages with customers, and powering growth across new strategic pillars such as Health & Wellness and subscription services that customers will engage with daily.
The chosen candidate will have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, the ability to structure community partnerships and work with community leaders to ensure that Saga communities are safe, supportive and uplifting spaces. The candidate will help manage influencers and multiple stakeholders to deliver on innovation initiatives and wider Saga business objectives.
- Structuring partnerships with community leaders
- Maintaining collaborative relationships and devising community engagement strategies which support the growth of Saga’s new and existing revenue lines and serve genuine community and customer needs.
- Overseeing content creation, requiring an attention to detail, strong written and visual communication skills, and flexibility of tone to ensure that the content is aligned with each community’s unique culture.
- Leveraging customer research and strategic direction from the innovation team to build new Saga-branded digital communities around existing or new revenue lines
- Collaborate with a product team to inform the product roadmap and go-to-market strategy for communities
- Inform continuous product development, translating community needs and behaviours into new product features and offerings
- Act as Saga point of contact, ensuring that all communities are safe, trusted and uplifting spaces for our customers, ensuring that community leaders address behaviours that are not in line with community standards
- Leveraging insights and data from the communities and community leaders to inform product improvements and new product development. Customer-obsession and social & cultural curiosity are pre-requisites.
- Continuously measure and assess performance against KPIs to ensure commercial and engagement goals are met
- Run lean pilots to test and iterate community initiatives
- Report on progress and metrics, and advise on wider community and commercial innovation strategy
- Team leadership and management
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in social media management and marketing, customer research, sales & partnerships, product management and marketing strategy. They will have the capacity to work flexibly in a lean and dynamic team, and will have a passion for new consumer behaviours, staying up to date on the latest industry and consumer trends, and have a desire to shape the new discipline of community management, and Saga’s wider innovation strategy. They will actively listen to customers, address concerns and demonstrate an authentic social presence within the communities.
The Ideal Candidate
- Social media marketing or leading a digital community
- Designing and maintaining collaborative partnerships
- Devising marketing and communications strategy, including monitoring and leveraging digital marketing metrics
- Customer research
- Reporting on digital marketing metrics, and leveraging data to inform strategies
- Experience in lean product management – testing, iterating and scaling initiatives
- Developing or overseeing the development of high quality, consumer-facing written and visual marketing content
- Managing multiple stakeholders, and clearly communicating in team meetings, sales/partnerships calls or presentations
- Critical thinking and problem solving
Our Saga Values:
- Precision Pace - Always owning and making things happen.
- Empathy – Always aware of others.
- Curiosity – Always asking why.
- Collaboration – Always one team, the Saga team!
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
Remote working available where possible
25 days annual leave plus bank holidays with the choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
Free private medical insurance after 1 years' service
AXA Be Supported
A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
About the Company
Over the past 70 years we have become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic, recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and the Saga Magazine.
At Saga we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement. We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better.
Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50 as we are champions of age inclusivity. We are an official Disability Confident employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required. For more information on our DEI policies please visit our Saga Careers page.
Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the Talent Acquisition Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga will not be responsible for any fees related to CVs received in this unsolicited manner.