Head of Editorial - Saga Magazine
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important leadership role within the Membership and Publishing part of Saga.
You will be responsible for the strategy, development and publication of the Saga Magazine, ensuring that the development of the publication aligns with the Saga Possibilities programme and supports the Saga brand.
You will bring your skills and experience to engage with business stakeholders and external parties to then undertake a comprehensive strategic review of the print and digital propositions within Saga Publishing. To redevelop and reposition the current Saga Magazine towards a younger demographic, whilst still maintaining relevance to the existing readership ensuring growth in the subscription base to drive income.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Set, create and support magazine editorial strategy, evolving the current content, and sections in print, whilst creating a digital magazine that accelerates the evolution of the magazine and circulation growth
- Working with the Content Team, develop a multichannel approach to the Magazine allowing editorial to be consumed effectively in different channels
- Ensure the magazine integrates with the Group brand strategy and supports the ‘keep doing’ philosophy
- Ensure the magazine supports the membership programme
- Ensure that the magazine aligns with and supports (with editorial input) the content areas of the Possibilities website
- Ensure the magazine represents the Saga branded and non-Saga branded business units within Saga Group
- Manage the editorial and art team as well as freelance writers
- Ownership of the editorial calendar and content plan
- Ensure all work is delivered to a high standard, on time and within budget; and that internal and external customers experience an excellent level of service from the Editorial team
- Support the magazine subscriber growth strategy with strong editorial product
- Responsibility for the development of a consistently stylish, high-quality monthly print and digital magazine, leveraging the inherent strengths of each channel to drive growth in circulation
- Responsibility for the magazine budget
- Responsibility for the ongoing development of the editorial team
- Create a strong working relationship with the other teams within the Membership function
- Content team ensuring consistency of message across digital and print channels
- Marketing team to drive growth in circulation
- Commercial team to leverage partnerships and advertisers to drive income streams
- Digital teams to ensure the messaging in social and web channels is consistent
- Manage any risks or controls delegated to this position as detailed in the relevant risk registers, in line with the business's risk policy
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Significant demonstrable editorial leadership experience in a print environment
- Experience of digital publishing/editorial is also highly desirable
- Demonstrable competence in independent writing and editing
- Strong people and performance management skills with a proven track record
- Demonstrate complete understanding of business plans and goals and proven ability to make a serious contribution to the business future
- Excellent understanding of the over-50s market
- Competent in playing a leading role within the company
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent design, typography and layout skills. Proven journalistic skills in spotting and developing stories/themes
Education and Qualifications:
- Excellent standard of secondary education
- Degree calibre
- Strong team-builder and team-leader, with proven management skills and ability to lead from the front
- The ability to interact with internal and external peers at all levels;
- The ability to manage budgets, control costs and deliver strong ROI.
- Maintains strong contacts in media & journalism
- Dedicated to delivering the Saga vision & a believer in the Saga Way
- A change agent who will challenge the existing team to enable and support a new publishing proposition
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- 28 days holiday
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- Saga Social Club
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Childcare vouchers
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.