Interim Pricing Manager - Lifestyle (4 - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract)
A leader in Motor, Home, Travel and Health Insurance; Saga offers an environment where we will do the best thing for you to develop your skills and develop your career.
We are looking for a Interim Pricing Manager - Lifestyle (Travel & PMI) on a 4 - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract to work in our Saga Services business based in London.
As a Pricing Manager, you are a key member of the Pricing & Actuarial department and Saga Services. You will work directly with the relevant Product Head and colleagues in Marketing, Finance and IT to understand commercial performance of your product lines and seek opportunities to use pricing know-how to deliver business objectives.
You will specify appropriate pricing models and monitoring processes; identifying data opportunities, appropriate statistical techniques, reviewing performance and making judgements. In partnership with the Product team, formulate agreed pricing actions which optimise performance.
You will act as a Subject Matter Expert or Business Sponsor on relevant projects and are accountable for your performance in such roles.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Execute a pricing strategy for your product lines that supports a growing business over a 5-year time horizon
- Develop pricing models, pricing rules and rating approaches for your areas of product responsibility; continuously improving pricing effectiveness
- Support the negotiation of net rates with insurer partners within your lines of business; maintaining and improving the commercial value of partnerships to both sides and constructing compelling cases to secure competitive advantage
- Seek out and assimilate data items which hold value in both net and gross pricing, extracting competitive advantage from Saga’s unique data assets
- Monitor actual versus expected performance of pricing models; recognise deviation early and act to minimize the cost of underperformance
- Monitor adherence to pricing fairness rules and data usage policies within your lines of business; report breaches and act to remedy where necessary
- Respond to pricing queries from various business areas in line with agreed timescales; ensure common themes and root causes are addressed in future pricing models
- Contribute to trading meetings; providing pricing insight and collaborating with colleagues to identify solutions to trading challenges or opportunities to improve results
- Help form the agenda for your lines of business in Pricing Forums and cross-functional meetings
- Drive small change and initiate more significant change programmes that will deliver and maintain pricing excellence for your lines of business
- Specify appropriate testing of price-related IT changes if required
- Mentor junior colleagues, supporting their training and career development
- Deputise for the Head of Pricing for your products as and when required
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the critical aspects of pricing; experience in designing and creating data-driven processes that deliver successful pricing
- Numerical reasoning skills; be able to breakdown complex business problems, identify key trends in data and explain these with logical argument and industry knowledge
- Critical thinking; ability to assimilate information from various sources in order to decide on a course of action, use judgement and risk-based assessments to make recommendations for action even in the absence of full information
- Commercial awareness; be able to articulate the financial impacts of your work and understand how it fits with wider product strategy
- Capability to present information and compelling, persuasive arguments to senior personnel, business stakeholders and external business partners
- Ability to develop and mentor members of staff in both technical skills and other business skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deal with overlapping deadlines
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams to deliver a set of business goals
- Understanding of the application of a range of insurance administration and data management systems (eg Radar, Guidewire, SQL, Tableau, R etc)
- Customer focus; demonstrate that you think customer-first when developing and delivering pricing strategies
Education and qualifications:
- Degree in a mathematical or scientific subject would be preferred
- B grade (or above) A-Level maths, statistics or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, Visual Basic, R is an advantage
- Excel expert desirable
- Recognised insurance qualification, e.g. FCII (or equivalent) (desirable)
- Nearly/Newly Qualified Actuary (desirable)
- Highly numerate
- Logical thinker
- Inquisitive, natural problem solver
- Excellent attention to detail
- Independent worker, ability to prioritise own work
- Not afraid to speak up, strong communicator
- Delivery focussed
- Thrives on taking responsibility; not afraid to make decisions
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.