Magazine Designer, 12 month fixed term contract
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Magazine Designer on a 12 month fixed term contract.
This is an important role within Saga Publishing that forms part of a busy and creative art and production team.
The designer will primarily support the delivery of art and design for Saga Magazine and associated print, digital, internal marketing and commercial work as required. You will ensure all art and design meets the brand, publishing and audience expectations of quality, and adheres to our brand identity.
You will be involved in the design and creative layout of Saga Magazine and other print and digital materials under the direction of the Art Editor. You will be hands-on, designing and delivering pages and digital files in line with editorial, marketing and commercial requirements and to a high professional standard.
You will bring creative design solutions to design challenges, and to manage projects from stakeholders within Saga, such as the commercial manager or internal partners. Digital design experience would be an advantage.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- To ensure Saga Magazine and associated print and digital outputs adhere to brand, audience and publishing expectations.
- To provide day-to-day delivery of art and design work for Saga Publishing and associated products under the guidance of the Art Editor, ensuring all work meets technical, creative and business requirements, while ensuring Saga Publishing’s style guidelines are met.
- Proven understanding of typography, layout, colour and grid structures in print, and understanding of digital file formats, resolution and creative output for web pages, digital banners and social media content.
- To monitor and act on readership feedback across print and digital, working to improve design, layouts and art to meet accessibility and brand image requirements.
- To provide creative and design solutions to publishing challenges, being aware and acting on design methodologies and approaches, as well as emerging and established
- magazine design approaches, both on and offline.
- To engage with the life cycle of all artwork – from concept to delivery – including: managing amends within schedules, supplying proofs to the production team, ensuring all artwork meets press pass requirements, and ensuring all pages are checked before sending to repro.
- To provide ad hoc digital design support, including designing digital marketing materials such as MPUs and DPUs, infographics, digital designs and creative content for Saga Publishing’s social media and web site channels.
- To provide on-going creative and design solutions to digital briefs, from emails to banners, working collaboratively with creatives, UX or developers to deliver digital output of the highest quality and to brief as required.
- Staying on track with emerging digital trends and culture, attending events and engaging with the wider digital creative community.
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least two years relevant experience working in consumer publishing with experience working on consumer magazines.
- Demonstrable portfolio of editorial layouts.
- High levels of competency using Adobe Creative Suite software, with a high degree of experience and expertise in using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Demonstrable knowledge of best practice magazine design principles and approaches.
- An awareness of design for digital output, with digital examples of work Education and Qualifications:
- Be educated to degree level or similar, ideally in an arts-related field
- Highly motivated with a flexible approach to work, willing to adapt and change depending on business requirements.
- Creative problem solver, with a clear ability to use visual design language in print. Produces consistent, high calibre print design and layout work quickly, accurately and with technical proficiency.
- Polite and ‘can do’ ability to engage with teams and key stakeholders across Saga
- Highly organised with a ‘today, not tomorrow’ approach to work, with the ability to prioritise projects and design requirements.
- Personable and able to lead as well as work as part of a team, and a strong sense of personal responsibility in work.
- An excellent communicator and collaborator, able to clearly communicate design ideas and concepts as well as work with other stakeholders to deliver creative solutions.
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.