New Build Site Superintendent
As a Group, Saga is taking to the seas in our brand new, luxury cruise ships, leading the market with innovative insurance products, and creating thousands of unforgettable memories for our loyal holidaymakers who are at the heart of the Saga brand.
Having successfully built and launched a new cruise ship this year, Saga Cruises is building another 999-passenger 58,250-ton luxury cruise ship at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany for delivery mid 2020.
This role is an important part of our New Build Site Supervision Team who work alongside Saga’s existing Design and Management team based in the UK and senior ship’s staff who will support the project at the shipyard.
Reporting to the Site Manager, you will oversee the construction of the vessel within your expert discipline, achieving the highest possible standards of construction by the Shipyard and its suppliers.
You will bring a strong modern cruise ships new build background with expertise in one or a combination of the following disciplines:
- Power & propulsion, aux, machinery & systems, electrical & automation
- HVAC and refrigeration
- Hotel technical systems
- Hotel outfitting - back of house
You will also bring the ability to lead the technical discipline on site, commercial awareness, negotiation of issues with the Shipyard to support Saga’s aims. You'll also assist to set up and run office systems and processes under your expert area.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career at a key time in Saga's History.
- Effective construction supervision and inspections for Saga Cruises with the aim of ensuring the highest possible standards of construction on time and within budget
- Within your technical area of expertise, to act as Saga Cruises’ representative on site at the Meyer Werft shipyard
- Familiarisation with the design of the vessel at a detailed level and the shipyard’s construction standards and methods
- Knowledge of Rules and Regulations related to modern cruise ship construction
- To liaise on a daily basis with the shipyard’s design, production, safety and quality management staff
- To carry out inspections, tests and trials
- To be main expert advisor on site in your technical area of expertise
- To assist in setting up quality control and administration processes and systems
- To assist in planning activities related to the ship construction
- To analyse the shipyard’s construction reports and aim to identify issues before they arise
- To identify and mitigate risks
- To provide appropriate technical and inspection information and report effectively into the Site Manager
- To identify construction issues and to work with the shipyard and its suppliers to find acceptable solutions
- To assist site management in maintaining the Site Team budget
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- In-depth knowledge and experience in modern cruise ship design implementation, construction and outfitting supervision and operations
- Knowledge and experience in multiple disciplines to support other team members
- High skills of technical and architectural drawings reading and interpretation
- Demonstrable team management experience
- Ability to lead related technical discipline
- Modern cruise shipbuilding experience as owner’s representative
- Shipyard / shipboard / classification societies / other regulatory bodies experience
- High standard of written and spoken English
Education and Qualifications:
- Educated to degree and/or professional level, or equivalent experience
- Ship or Shipbuilding Marine Engineer, Naval Architect or an equivalent discipline-relevant qualification
- Self-motivated, flexible and ready for a challenge
- Proactive and able to assess, detect and mitigate project risks at early stage
- Highly operationally focused and commercially aware
- Able to drive change quickly
- Collaborative approach
- Innovative and solutions orientated, very ‘can do’
- Ability to influence and negotiate
- Customer focussed and passionate about delivering to our customers and key stakeholders
- A natural technical leader
- Determination and resilient in approach with the ability to ‘find a way’
- Good organisational skills
This is a fixed term contract position until August 2020.
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.