Senior Financial Accountant
When you join Saga we welcome you with open arms and we fuel your career possibilities. We support. We encourage. We champion you to reach your full potential.
This role is an important part of the Finance team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Group function of the business.
Reporting to the Finance Manager – Saga plc, the Senior Financial Accountant will be responsible for assisting with the production and delivery of all internal and external reporting requirements of the Saga plc Group, provide technical accounting advice to the divisional finance teams, be a point of contact with external auditors throughout the year and input into the management of the financial control environment for the Group.
This role is suited to a qualified finance professional looking for their first move from practice or with previous comparable industry experience. Previous experience in IFRS statutory accounts preparation and the external audit process is preferable. The individual will need to have strong analytical skills and be able to work to tight deadlines.
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
- Assist with the production and delivery of all internal and external reporting requirements of the Saga plc Group ensuring all reporting requirements are achieved and completed within the specified deadlines
- Assist with the delivery of any changes resulting from new IFRS accounting standards impacting the Group, including input in any necessary accounting papers for internal and external use
- Act as a point of contact with external & internal auditors for the Saga plc Group’s half year review, interim audit and year end audit
- Proactively input into the management of the financial control environment for the Group, ensuring adoption and adherence to group policies, procedures and best practice
- Assist with the maintenance of the Group Accounting Manual
- Assist with financial due diligence process ensuring the wider business understand which contracts are subject to the requirements
- Assist with the production of the Group’s charitable trust management and statutory account
- Supporting the Finance Manager – Saga plc on all financial matters as required
- Supporting the wider Financial Reporting and Control team as required
- Adhoc projects and other data analysis
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Qualified accountant who can demonstrate strong financial accounting skills, with a good understanding of financial reporting and IFRS
- Able to quickly establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues at all levels, including Heads of Departments and Directors
- Very high standard of accuracy is essential
- High integrity and objectivity capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Able to work as a team and capable of delivering to tight deadlines
- Very high level of proficiency in the use of Excel and general ledger systems. Previous experience of Unit 4 Dream, IBM Cognos Controller and IBM TM1 advantageous
Education and Qualifications:
- Qualified Accountant (either ACCA,ACA or CIMA) with demonstrablePQE
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to operate in a fast decision-making and entrepreneurial environment
- A strong team orientation, an assertive style and well developed commercial and finance acumen
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and think outside the box
- Good written and oral communication skills
- An eye for detail and the ability to understand technically complex accounting issues
- Demonstrates a professional manner
- Good levels of energy and stamina, and able to cope with a demanding schedule with a flexible approach to satisfying the demands of their role and team
- Understanding the importance of deadlines and the ability to organise tasks to ensure they are achieved
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Flexible working
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.