Senior Java Developer
A leader in Motor, Home, Travel and Health Insurance; Saga offers an environment where we will do the best thing for you to develop your skills and develop your career.
This role is an important part of the SID (Saga Insurance Database) team who strive to facilitate, to help and support the Saga Services function of the business. We are looking for a Senior Java Developer.
You'll be practicing Agile methodologies, the team is focused on delivering change and benefit into the SID solution. As well as being responsible for the development of new features across the SID platform.With the potential to cover all aspect of development within the SID solution. This can include tasks in both project work and support work.
You'll bring experience knowledge scrum-based agile development methodology
And in return, you can look forward to all of the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Deliver SID application changes and defects in line with best practices and within project deadlines
- Participate fully in the teams agile development process, contributing to daily scrum meetings, sprint planning sessions, and retrospectives
- Ensuring the appropriate user story specification and acceptance processes are followed
- Work directly with QA testers to ensure high quality of delivery
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement consistent with the cultural context of the organisation
- Seek opportunities to contribute original ideas to the benefit of the team and organisation
- Perform any other duties consistent with the skill-set of the individual as required by the organisation from time to time
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and experience:
- Experience of Java development
- Experience of a scrum-based agile development methodology
- Experience of Git-based source control concepts such as push, pull, branch, merge, rebase
- Experience of Gosu and Guidewire applications would be an advantage
- Demonstrable technical & problem-solving background
- Experience in a development role
Education and qualifications:
- Good educational background
- Educated to degree level in a technical subject would be an advantage
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent communication required to manage the technical performance in the team and ensure dependencies with other teams are effectively managed
- Good analytical and technical skills
- Enthusiasm for personal development and learning the desire to extend personal skill sets through continuous self-assessment
- Ability to interpret user story acceptance criteria and deliver solutions that fulfil or exceed expectations
- Ability to work within an agile development environment and process
- Ability to recognise and work in line with Saga business objectives, ethos and methods
- Ability to communicate effectively with immediate colleagues and the wider business
- Self-motivated, flexible and organised, with an ability to work under pressure and to challenging deadlines
- Excellent time management skills ability to effectively prioritise workloads and to meet business expectations
- Able to cope under pressure
- Professional manner & positive attitude
- An eye for detail
- Conscientious with high quality standards
- Analytical mind
- Flexible approach to work, confident and approachable
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eyetests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc results for the financial year 2018/2019
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.