Senior Web Developer
A leader in Motor, Home, Travel and Health Insurance; Saga offers an environment where we will do the best thing for you to develop your skills and develop your career.
A great opportunity has arisen for a Senior Web Developer to join the Saga Services IT business.
You will be responsible for building, updating and supporting the Insurance E-Commerce engines. This sub-team closely with the rest of IT, Marketing and other Business teams to support the development programme.
You'll bring proactively implement best practice from a development, automation, governance, performance, and security perspective; ensuring that the system remains stable and resilient.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast paced career with an excellent benefits package including life assurance, pension, high street and online discounts, and concessions for holidays and travel.
If this sounds like a role for you then keep reading...
- Take technical ownership on projects and change to the e-commerce engines, including defining specifications alongside the Business Analyst and Change Owner
- Provide advice where alternative solutions exist
- Detailed analysis of user requirements for new applications and the continued maintenance/enhancement of current systems
- Full stack development from client-side script through to the database
- Develop monitoring visibility and reporting, ensuring issues are investigated, with incidents and faults raised as appropriate
- Understand and demonstrate the need for information security and governance controls and possess the ability to balance these needs with those of the development change programmes
- A proactive approach to process and architectural problems, developing automation and best practice, and engender a culture of continuous improvement
The Ideal Candidate
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A strong development background in .NET with a modern architectural approach
- Data management and design skills (SQL, Oracle)
- A thorough understanding of web security, usability, accessibility and web standards to help drive best practice
- Experience in process automation such as continuous integration and deployment, with a good understanding of Powershell
- Experience with application and system performance monitoring tools
- Experience of working in different development methodologies including Agile
- Willingness to support and mentor junior developers using techniques such as pair programming, peer review, hosting workshops and retrospectives
- Appetite for process and system improvement and keen to experiment with technologies and processes
- Ability to help define and manage own workload
- Proven communication skills and the ability to communicate ideas and all ranges of technical aspects and complex concepts clearly and in plain English to all levels of the business
- A pro-active attitude, with the ability to recognise and deal with all manner of IT related issues, whilst communicating and escalating accordingly
- Strong prioritisation and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Understanding and efficiency in collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders with a focus on value and the wider business environment
Education and Qualifications:
- Demonstrable technical experience. This to include proven in-depth technical knowledge of designated technical platforms
- Recognised industry qualification would be advantageous
- Flexible, personable, assertive
- An advocate of continuous improvement and lifelong learning
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Thorough eye for detail, logical, creative
- Pro-active with initiative but disciplined and professional
- Team player but able to work on own
- Positive attitude to change
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
- Option to purchase a further 5 days annual leave per year
- Free private medical insurance after 1 years service
- AXA Be Supported
- Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
- Free fruit
- Give as you earn
- Free eye tests
- Honeymoon benefit
- Salary finance
- Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
- A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Long service awards
About the Company
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities. If you need support at any point with your application please let us know as we will be happy to help.
Learn more about the Saga business by watching our Saga plc Interim results for the six months ended 31st July 2018
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.