** Remote/home working allowed **
With market-leading, innovative insurance, and financial products the transformation of our business makes the Saga Group an extremely exciting place to be as we move toward the Saga 70th anniversary in 2021.
Saga is a trusted brand which achieves over 87% recognition from the UK’s over 50s. With our differentiated products and a unique route to market we are able to offer outstanding service and we mirror this with outstanding career possibilities.
…And right now, we are looking for a Solicitor at an exciting time in Saga’s history. As a Group, Saga is taking to the seas in our brand new, luxury cruise ships, leading the market with innovative insurance and financial products. You will be providing a high-quality legal service to colleagues across the Saga Group in relation to a broad range of legal matters.
You will bring strong interpersonal skills required to communicate clearly, precisely and appropriately, both orally and in writing with other parties, whilst maintaining excellent working relationships.
And in return, you can look forward to all the responsibility and involvement of an integral role, providing you with a rewarding and fast-paced career with an excellent benefits package.
If this is of interest to you then we would be keen to hear from you!
- Provide legal advice and support in relation to a broad range of Saga Group activities working with colleagues at all levels across the business, with specific emphasis on contract queries, drafting and negotiation as well as assisting the business to balance legal and reputational risk.
- Draft, review and provide guidance on and ensure compliance with internal Saga legal policies.
- Work collegiately with other members of the legal team in providing a fully integrated service across the Saga Group.
- To effectively manage external counsel to ensure that the appropriate counsel is selected and a cost effective and high-quality service is delivered.
- To effectively manage relationships with key stakeholders, including legal colleagues, businesses and Group functions, suppliers and other key stake holders.
- Ensuring legal knowledge remains up to date in terms of current and planned legislative changes and relevant parts of business advised accordingly with any relevant actions taken to ensure continued legal compliance for Saga Group.
- Provide training to the Saga Group Legal Team and to other relevant business areas on legal issues and areas of interest.
Case and Transaction Management:
Under the supervision of a Head of Legal or Senior Solicitor:
- Conduct meetings with business colleagues.
- Gain a clear understanding of client expectations and requirements ensuring instructions are obtained or confirmed.
- Assess and analyse legal problems.
- Conduct relevant legal research.
- Successfully deliver transactional goals.
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the instruction, if relevant.
- Maintain utmost confidentiality.
- Challenge business colleagues, where appropriate.
- Conduct twice yearly self-appraisal and individual development and training log.
- Maintain electronic work matter files and reporting logs.
- Follow administrative systems and procedures.
- Gain the requisite competency in the skill standards, commensurate with a solicitor of the same standing.
- Participate in all meetings whether business meetings, team meetings, sub-team meetings or one to one meetings.
- Work closely with Trainee Solicitors and Paralegals to share knowledge and skills.
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate clearly, precisely and appropriately, both orally and in writing with other parties, at all levels, whilst maintaining excellent working relationships.
- Confident and able to negotiate with clients and other professionals to secure a desired outcome.
- Ability to prioritise work matters and deal with a number of work matters simultaneously, and usually under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Education and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated a good academic record, having preferably obtained a 2:1 degree or higher at University.
- Passed all necessary GDL and/or LPC examinations.
- Other relevant post-graduate qualifications useful, for example CII.
- Maintain CPD to support professional status and business need
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A qualified solicitor, barrister or international equivalent, preferably with requisite in-house experience.
- Play a full role within the Saga Legal Team and be able to manage a full and varied workload under the direction of the Manager.
- Excellent literacy and reasonable numeracy skills together with a competent and confident level of understanding of Microsoft Software packages and Lotus Notes and Share Point.
- Strong commercial acumen is essential.
The standard benefits when you join Saga include:
Remote working available where possible
The choice to buy a further 5 days annual leave per year
Free private medical insurance after 1 years' service
AXA Be Supported
Apples Nursery (Folkestone only and on a waiting list basis)
Give as you earn
Free eye tests
Discounts on Saga holidays and insurance products
A range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
About the Company
We want all our candidates to have the best possible chance of doing well during our recruitment process so we have created some videos which will help with your CV:
And some helpful tips should you be invited to interview:
When you join Saga you will see that we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement.
We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better. Creating a culture in which everyone feels welcome and offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement is incredibly important to us. Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities.
We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required.
We are a member of the 30% Club and partner with Women Ahead which offers us a fantastic opportunity to take part in a leading, global, cross-company, leadership mentoring scheme to champion female talent.
We are a signatory of the Armed Services Covenant and have received a Silver Award from the Employer Recognition Scheme.
To all recruitment agencies: Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the HR Recruitment Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs.